Monthly and seasonal subscription boxes are all the rage. I’ve been researching them and discovered there are way more out there than I realized so today on Fox 2 News I talked about the best beauty and wellness subscriptions you probably don’t know about. Below are the video of my interview and more details on what I recommended.
Spring is just around the corner and new spring beauty products are available now! Today I shared my top picks for what’s new in beauty for Spring 2017 on Fox 2 News. Click here to see the video. And read on below to see more details on what I recommended today.
Good Skin. One of the coolest introductions for spring that will help you get a stunning skin is the new Clarisonic Smart Profile Uplift ($349, includes: Clarisonic Smart Profile Device, Firming Massage Head, Revitalizing Cleanse Brush Head, Turbo Massage Body Brush Head, 1 oz Refreshing Gel Facial Cleanser, USB Charger and Wall Plug; available at clarisonic.com).
More than a decade ago, Clarisonic invented the sonic cleansing category with its device that has become a beauty must-have. Now Clarisonic introduces a unique, patented, non-invasive sonic frequency that firms skin. It has Clarisonic’s smart microchip technology embedded in the smart brush heads, enabling the device to automatically operate at the optimal cleansing or firming frequency. It targets 15 signs of aging, including firmness, sagging, wrinkles, fine lines and radiance.
It works in three steps:
- Step 1: Cleanse (one minute) with the new Revitalizing Cleanse Brush Head that gently cleanses and removes makeup and dirt six times better than hands alone.
- Step 2: Firm (three minutes) with the Firming Massage Head and your favorite anti-aging creams, serums and oils. It produces 27,000 micro-firming massages in three minutes and is patented to work with Clarisonic’s firming frequency to smooth fine lines and wrinkles and boost absorption of skin care products. Testing found using this with skin care is up to twice as effective than using skin care alone. Skin felt firmer and more moisturized. Elasticity was improved. Face and neck appeared lifted and contours more defined based on 12 weeks of use.
- Step 3: Body (three minutes) with the Turbo Massage Body Brush Head that’s perfect for smoothing extra dry, dull skin on elbows, knees and feet. It’s also ideal to prep skin for self-tanner.
Clarins Spring 2017 Colour Collection
Inspired by skincare, under the color in this collection lies natural plant extracts to care for your skin. The collection includes:
4-Colour Eyeshadow Palette and Ombre Iridescente: Six shades of gray for Spring 2017 with new shades 08 Silver White and 10 Silver Grey in Clarins long-wear, easy-to-blend, creme-to-powder Ombré Iridescente shadows ($25 each) and the new 05 Smoky Palette 4 Couleurs – a smoothing, long-lasting, wet & dry shadow palette with four satin, matte and iridescent shadows ($43 at Clarins counters nationwide and on www.clarins.com).
Joli Rouge Brillant: Joli Rouge Brilliant is one of my favorite lipsticks in the whole world so I’m thrilled they have new shades in their Spring 2017 Collection. These are so creamy, silky smooth and moisturizing with mango oil and organic marsh samphire extract. The color is sheer and pearlescent with a beautiful, subtle shine. 31 Tender Nude is my favorite. For a more vivid Lip, go with the new 32 Pink Cranberry or 33 Soft Plum ($28 each).
Face Contouring Palette: Contour, sculpt and highlight your face with the new Clarins Palette Contour Visage in the Spring 2017 Collection. It comes with a great beveled brush that hugs the contours of the face making it super easy to contour the face. This palette includes a highlighter, contouring powder and blush to accentuate cheekbones. I like that the colors are matte so they look really natural — not super shimmery. The powders are long-lasting and formulated with organic almond oil and Clarins anti-pollution complex to protect skin ($42). [Read more…]
There were some amazing beauty innovations and trends in 2016 that can help you look youthful and radiant in the new year. I shared my top picks this morning on Fox 2 News. Below is video of the interview and more info on what I recommended.
You use the device to apply your products for one minute in the morning and at night. In a clinical study, after three days of using the device with the Arbonne Lifting and Contouring Eye Cream, participants experienced improved appearance of fine lines around the eye, overall improved appearance of the eye area, skin that felt and looked smoother and more luminous, and a reduction in the appearance of dark circles. Genius Ultra comes in a set with Arbonne RE9 Advanced Intensive Renewal Serum and Lifting and Contouring Eye Cream ($241 for the set when you sign up for the Preferred Client Program at arbonne.com).
Skin Care Innovation: Jouvé Instant Tightening & Restoring Serum and Dark Spot Corrector & Brightening Cream. Ever wish you had a magic wand that worked like botox without the needles and botulism? Then check out Jouvé Serum and Cream. There are videos all over the internet with this duo, because the serum creates dramatic results within a few seconds. It’s like botox in a tube. It instantly tightens and lifts skin with naturally occurring minerals that remain on the surface of the skin and create a crystalline matrix that tightens and lifts skin so wrinkles and under-eye puffiness magically vanish.
Christmas is less than two weeks away! Shipping deadlines for online purchases are approaching quickly so today I shared last-minute gift ideas you can pick up locally on Fox 2 News. Below are the interview on Fox and more details on everything I recommended.
KIND Soap Company is based in Webster Groves in St. Louis. Their products are formulated to be free of all the “bad” stuff in traditional skin care products. They only use the most natural, high-quality and benign ingredients with proven track records many of which are organic or wild harvested. They do not use any skin and eye irritants like sulfates, synthetic fragrances, phthalates or parabens.
KIND has some amazing all-natural items, including many holiday-themed gifts:
- Sugar Plums (sets of cherry almond, bourbon vanilla and chocolate orange solid sugar scrubs, $10)
- Merry & Bright Bath Salt & Milk Soak Duos (an uplifting bath salt and skin brightening bath soak)
- Seasonal soaps in scents like Frankincense & Myrrh, Spiced Rum and Lavender Pine
- Vanilla Buttercream Sugar Scrub and Chocolate Buttercream Body Frosting
- A new Snowberry scent made with black currant and vanilla available in an Artisan Soap, Lotion Bar, Foaming Bath Salts and Lip Balm
- And for guys, grab the new The Block Beer & Bacon Fat line with a Beard Balm ($16), Soap ($10) and Lip Balm ($6) – all made with bacon fat from the popular restaurant and butcher shop The Block – don’t worry the products don’t smell like bacon or beer
- And the uber popular classic Bulgarian Rose scent is now available in a Bath Tea and Linen & Body Spray
KIND Soap products are available at their headquarters in Webster Groves, at Whole Foods and Schnucks stores and at kindsoap.com.
Bee Naturals has wonderful natural skin care and makeup. Bee Naturals was started by a nurse who wanted to heal and protect her hands from chemicals like parabens found at the hospital. She began by developing Skin Creme Bars and went on to create a whole range of natural products for face, body and hair for adults and children.
Bee Naturals products are made in small batches with pure, natural, high-quality ingredients, including honey and bee pollen. Barbara Chappuis’ Bee Naturals line is available at her shops in Maplewood and Clarksville, MO, and at online at beenaturals.com.
Here are some of my top picks for holiday gifts:
- For dry hands and feet: Ultra-Rich Hand Creme ($13), Ultimate Foot Creme ($13), and Skin Creme Sticks and Bars ($10-$14)
- For an at-home spa experience: Aromatherapy Mineral Bath Salts ($13), Aromatherapy Foaming Foot Bath & Soak ($10), Ultra Rich Body Shampoo Bar ($9) and Luxury Creme Body Wash ($17-$33)
- For the softest skin from head to toe: Honey Sugar Scrub ($15) and Sweet Tease Body Souffle ($22)
- Bee Naturals also now offers custom makeup. You can take in your favorite color and get it matched; and they’re offering a Groupon so you can get a super good deal on this service now through January. You can get a lipstick, nail polish, eye shadow, brow color or blush.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month so today I talked about potentially hazardous ingredients in beauty and personal care products on Fox 2 News in St. Louis. The average woman uses about 12 products containing about 168 different ingredients each day, according to the watchdog group the Environmental Working Group. The average man uses about half that.
While many of these products are designed to penetrate the skin, the EWG reports that no health studies or pre-market testing are required for these products in the U.S. The FDA does no safety testing and authorizes the cosmetics industry to self-police itself. And yet the EWG found 16 potentially toxic chemicals linked to cancer and hormone disruption – like phthalates, parabens, triclosan and musks – in blood and urine samples in teen girls. Here’s video of my interview and below it is more information.
How Do You Know What’s Safe?
- For the last eight years, the EWG has been researching and advocating for personal care product safety. They have developed the Skin Deep Database where you can search 62,000 products and individual ingredients for safety.
- You can also search products through the EWG Healthy Living App, where you can search more than 120,000 foods and personal care products.
- The Breast Cancer Fund also provides a list of potentially hazardous ingredients to avoid.
What To Watch Out For?
- Hair. The EWG recommends avoiding or limiting dark, permanent hair dyes and chemical hair straighteners and keratin treatments. They say many contain coal tar ingredients linked to cancer.
- Nails. Avoid formaldehyde, toluene and dibutyl phthalate (DBP).
- Avoid Triclosan. Found in a wide variety of products with antimicrobial properties, like cleaning products. The Breast Cancer Fund reports that this chemical (classified as a pesticide) can affect the body’s hormonal system and may disrupt normal breast development.
- Avoid Plastics. Phthalates are considered endocrine disruptors that may increase breast cancer risk. Plastic can also leach chemicals into your food when heated.
- Nails. Look for “5-free” and “10-free” polishes like those from Trust Fund Beauty, which are 10-free, cruelty-free, paraben-free and vegan.
- Choose Products with the Healthy Living App. Choose products that score well with low-hazard scores.
- Weleda products typically score extremely well. Weleda makes certified natural skin care, free of synthetic preservatives, fragrances, colorants and raw materials derived from mineral oils. They make lovely, highly effective skin care for the face and body, hair care, and products especially for babies and children, who are less capable of handling hazardous chemicals.
- 100% Pure also scores exceptionally well. 100% Pure is an organic line that offers a full range of skin care for face and body, hair care and outstanding makeup pigmented with fruits, vegetables, tea and even chocolate. Everything is 100% natural, 100% cruelty-free, 100% free of artificial colors, artificial fragrances, synthetic chemical preservatives and all other toxins.
- Choose Glass or Stainless Steel Over Plastic. ECOlunchbox is a great line of food containers that are free of plastic, BPA and phthalates. They’re made with sturdy yet not-too-heavy stainless steel. You can use them to tote meals and snacks – everything from veggies, fruits, soups, pastas and yogurt. They offer plastic-free and leak-free silicone lids. All parts are dishwasher and oven safe.