The unofficial start to summer – Memorial Day – is nearly here! Today I shared health and beauty tips to help you look and feel great over Memorial Day weekend and into the summer on Fox 2 News in St. Louis (click here to see the video) – everything from how to maintain a healthy diet amidst holiday barbecues to how to care for your hair and skin if you get too much sun. Below are more details about everything I shared.
Hair and Skin Care. With so many fun events over Memorial Day weekend, it’s easy to over do it in the sun, which can really dry out your hair and skin. Help replenish moisture with soothing, restoring hair and skin products:
- Aveda Sun Care After-Sun Hair Masque: This after-sun formula includes morikue protein. Tamanu oil and certified organic coconut oil moisturize sun-exposed hair. Features Aveda’s own pure-fume aroma with certified organic neroli, ylang ylang, cistus and other pure flower and plant essences ($27, available at aveda.com and at Aveda shops and salons).
- Aveda Tulasara Calm Concentrate: This lovely 97% naturally derived (from plants and non-petroleum minerals) treatment serum instantly soothes skin and makes it more resilient over time ($59).
- An algae extract helps reduce the look of redness and irritation over time.
- Pomegranate fruit extracts, known in ayurvedic tradition for its soothing properties, helps calm the look of skin.
- Contains more than one-hundred thousand red raspberry plant stem cells known for their restorative powers.
- Features Aveda’s own pure-fume aroma with certified organic roman chamomile, clary sage, neroli and other pure flower and plant essences.
- Apply morning and night before moisturizer.
- Aveda Botanical Kinetics Intense Hydrating Masque: Gives soothing relief to skin suffering from excessive dryness, stress and exposure to the elements. This intensely hydrating, oil-free masque contains potent plant-derived humectants and calms with rosewater ($24).
- Soothes, cools and calms the skin’s surface.
- Increases skin’s moisture level.
- Leaves skin soft, smooth and healthy-looking.
- Apply a thick layer on cleansed face, neck and décolleté. Leave on 5–10 minutes.
Healthy and Eco-Friendly Eating. It’s also easy to overindulge and eat a lot of processed foods at holiday barbecues that can take a toll on our skin (e.g., eating anything with sugar or flour can accelerate aging, because they cause oxidation) and leave us feeling awful afterward. I like to have a nutritious green smoothie beforehand or take one to a barbecue to help me load up on antioxidants and fill up on good stuff so I eat less of the stuff that leads to wrinkles, promotes breakouts and will give me a stomach ache.
Arbonne makes green smoothies easy with their Greens Balance, which includes a unique, vegan blend of green, yellow, red and blue whole fruits and vegetables, including kale, wheat grass, spirulina, broccoli, pumpkin, carrot, beets, pomegranate, raspberry, tomato, chia seed, flax seed, quinoa seed, prunes, elderberry, blueberry and sweet potato, to deliver antioxidants, phytonutrients and fiber you need for a more balanced, healthier diet every day ($50, available at arbonne.com and from Arbonne independent consultants).
Arbonne also has great vegan, plant-based, soy-free protein powder with their Daily Protein Boost, which delivers 10 grams of protein from pea, rice and cranberry, without any added sugar or flavors, for maximum flexibility ($40). Add a scoop to an Arbonne Essentials Protein Shake, PhytoSport After Workout, or to other foods or beverages to increase your daily protein intake. Protein helps support a feeling of fullness, which helps those on a weight management regimen.
While being good to your body, be good to the earth with eco-friendly food storage. Bee’s Wrap makes amazing food wraps in a variety of sizes that are made of organic cotton infused with responsibly harvested beeswax, organic jojoba oil and tree resin ($6-$42, available at beeswrap.com and local shops like Larder & Cupboard in Maplewood, MO). These storage wraps are durable, washable and resuable. Use them to cover bowls, wrap up cheese, fruit, bread and veggies, or to pack up a snack to go. They won’t hold the smell of things like onions.
The warmth of your hands will form the wrap over a bowl or whatever you want to wrap. The wrap will hold its shape after it cools, creating a seal. Wash the wrap with cool water and a gentle soap, air dry it, and reuse it for a year. After you’re done with it, they are biodegradable and compostable.
Do Tell. What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend?
photo by jill111