The unofficial start to summer – Memorial Day – is nearly here! Today I shared health and beauty tips to help you look and feel great over Memorial Day weekend and into the summer on Fox 2 News in St. Louis (click here to see the video) – everything from how to maintain a healthy diet amidst holiday barbecues to how to care for your hair and skin if you get too much sun. Below are more details about everything I shared.
Hair and Skin Care. With so many fun events over Memorial Day weekend, it’s easy to over do it in the sun, which can really dry out your hair and skin. Help replenish moisture with soothing, restoring hair and skin products:
- Aveda Sun Care After-Sun Hair Masque: This after-sun formula includes morikue protein. Tamanu oil and certified organic coconut oil moisturize sun-exposed hair. Features Aveda’s own pure-fume aroma with certified organic neroli, ylang ylang, cistus and other pure flower and plant essences ($27, available at aveda.com and at Aveda shops and salons).
- Aveda Tulasara Calm Concentrate: This lovely 97% naturally derived (from plants and non-petroleum minerals) treatment serum instantly soothes skin and makes it more resilient over time ($59).
- An algae extract helps reduce the look of redness and irritation over time.
- Pomegranate fruit extracts, known in ayurvedic tradition for its soothing properties, helps calm the look of skin.
- Contains more than one-hundred thousand red raspberry plant stem cells known for their restorative powers.
- Features Aveda’s own pure-fume aroma with certified organic roman chamomile, clary sage, neroli and other pure flower and plant essences.
- Apply morning and night before moisturizer.
- Aveda Botanical Kinetics Intense Hydrating Masque: Gives soothing relief to skin suffering from excessive dryness, stress and exposure to the elements. This intensely hydrating, oil-free masque contains potent plant-derived humectants and calms with rosewater ($24).
- Soothes, cools and calms the skin’s surface.
- Increases skin’s moisture level.
- Leaves skin soft, smooth and healthy-looking.
- Apply a thick layer on cleansed face, neck and décolleté. Leave on 5–10 minutes.
Healthy and Eco-Friendly Eating. It’s also easy to overindulge and eat a lot of processed foods at holiday barbecues that can take a toll on our skin (e.g., eating anything with sugar or flour can accelerate aging, because they cause oxidation) and leave us feeling awful afterward. I like to have a nutritious green smoothie beforehand or take one to a barbecue to help me load up on antioxidants and fill up on good stuff so I eat less of the stuff that leads to wrinkles, promotes breakouts and will give me a stomach ache. [Read more…]