Hemp seeds are great for their health and beauty benefits, because they’re chock full of protein, fiber and essential fatty acids omega-3s and omega-6s and they won’t get you “high.” Makeup artist Bobbi Brown includes hemp seeds in her list of “essential beauty foods” in her book Beauty From the Inside Out.
It’s also an eco-friendly crop that doesn’t need herbicides and leaves soil in better condition than before it was planted. I talked about the benefits and how to get them today on Fox 2 News in St. Louis, since this is Hemp History Week. Below is the video, more details on why hemp is so good for you and how to get it into your diet and beauty regimen.
- Essential fatty acids omega-3s and omega-6s, which your body doesn’t create for itself and yet needs to function (omega-3 fact sheet). These can also help in a number of other ways, including:
- Your Skin: Omega-3s create stronger cells by supporting the protective fatty membranes around skin cells.
- Mental Health: Some researchers have found that some cultures that eat foods high in omega-3s have lower levels of depression.
- Asthma: A diet high in omega-3s lowers inflammation – a key component in asthma so this may help with lung function and reduce the need for medication.
- Highly digestible fiber – which is great if you’re looking to lose weight (fiber helps fill you up; and a recent study found that people who added more fiber to their diets – without changing anything else – lost almost as much weight as people who followed the heart-healthy, low-fat eating plan recommended by the American Heart Association.