Earth Month is upon us and Earth Day is coming up this weekend. Today I talked about four excellent ways to be kind to the earth and your body on Fox 2 News (click here to see the video). I shared three amazing earth-friendly health and beauty lines and a portable water filtration bottle that prevent plastic bottles going to landfills.
KIND Soap Company, as the name would imply, is all about kindness:
- This all-natural line is kind to your skin and made with no irritants, toxins or harsh chemicals (no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic fragrance, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, FD&C color or talc).
- Instead they use safe, natural alternatives to create natural, safe, healthy soaps, skin care, hair care, essential oil blends and baby care products.
- It’s kind to the earth, believing in minimizing waste with eco-conscious products, packaging and practices.
- Products are completely bio-degradable and all packaging is either recyclable, re-usable or biodegradable.
- Labeling is done with vegetable ink on tree-free paper and tags.
- They also use fair trade, eco-friendly products made by artisans around the world.
- It’s kind to others by sharing their good fortune with those less fortunate by funding reputable organizations near and dear to their hearts, like the Humane Society of Missouri and Autism Speaks. In fact, 10¢ of every KIND product sold is donated to Autism Speaks.
Some of our favorites:
- Their best-selling facial product: One-Step Facial Oil works as an oil-cleanser, a moisturizer and a serum
- The light and lovely new Rosewater Creamy Cleanser and Night Serum
- Their many exfoliating cleansers for the body, like the new Sand & Sea Soap Exfoliating Bar, to reveal soft, smooth skin for spring and summer
- Their coveted “It Sticks,” which work as a lotion bar, deodorant, aromatherapy rub, solid perfume and shave balm – the Wild Lemongrass even wards off bugs
- The super popular The Block Beer & Bacon Fat Beard Balm that smooths, styles and conditions hair on the face and head and is also great for hands, nails, elbows and any other dry spots
- ManPowder, a talc-free powder “for a fresh & dry undercarriage”
Intelligent Nutrients has a long eco-beauty history with its founder Horst Rechelbacher, known as the father of safe cosmetics. He founded Aveda and then going to the next level with Intelligent Nutrients with 100% USDA Certified Organic beauty products. Everything smells off-the-charts AMAZING and is so soothing to mind, body and soul.
- Understanding that our skin is our largest organ, they believe that “everything we put in & on our bodies must be nutritious and safe.”
- Everything is food-grade and can be ingested safely.
- IN is an environmental company. Their message is saving the planet and our selves by making the best personal care products on earth.
- Everything is vegan, cruelty-free, certified organic and made with plants, not petroleum.
- Products are made with environmentally sustainable ingredients.
- Packaging keeps air out so they can leave preservatives out too.
- Horst’s legacy lives on with the HMR Pollinator Project. The University of Minnesota Bee Squad supports a pollinator habitat on the Horst M. Rechelbacher farm in Osceola, Wisconsin. It will be a learning site for scientists, beekeepers, students and educators. Proceeds from their commemorative See and Seek aromas support the Pollinator Project efforts.
Some of our favorites:
- SEEK Concentrate is an amazing aroma includes cistus, oakmoss and vetiver juxtaposed with rose, neroli and jasmine AND it supports honeybees through the University of Minnesota Bee Lab and pollinator project. It is truly about the bees.
- Harmonic Shampoo and Conditioner is an amazing nontoxic, gluten-free, antioxidant-rich shampoo. The formulas are all food-grade!
- De-Stress Express Hair & Body Oil is a super moisturizing treatment oil for nourishing hair, scalp and body while relieving mental and physical stress. Formulated with a therapeutic blend of certified organic essential oils.
- Restore Body & Hair Elixir is a relaxing, hydrating, aromatherapeutic certified organic oil made with their Intellimune® seed oil and other essential oils to take care of the cells and system while making skin smooth. It includes ancient medicinal oils ravintsara, oregano, everlasting and cinnamon rest on a bed of regenerating patchouli, rosemary and thyme to help promote restoration.
- Smart Armor Perfume Spray repels bugs while attracting humans. And it’s DEET free.
Dr. Bronner’s is another leader in the organic and fair trade movement, beginning back in the 60s. They’re most famous for their 18-in-1 Castile Soaps that can be used as a cleanser from head to toe – even for brushing your teeth – and for your pets and for cleaning all around the house. Over the last decade, the line has expanded to include a whole range of skin and haircare products and Sals Suds for cleaning around the home.
- Everything is made with pure, organic and fair trade ingredients
- Most products are vegan and certified to the same organic standards as food!
- They treat employees like family, providing 100% free health care for employees and their families. They have 5-to-1 cap on executive salaries. Full-time employees get a yearly bonus of up to 25% of their salary. And they offer 15% of salary in profit-sharing.
- They build relationships with organic farmers and producers to create equitable supply chains, providing fair prices for farmers, living wages, excellent working conditions for workers, investment in communities, and respect for land and people.
- They have regenerative organic farming projects, soil enrichment and tree-planting programs, 100% post-consumer recycled paper and packaging, and aggressive waste and water-use reduction.
Some of our favorites:
- 18-in-1 Castile Soap in Peppermint, Eucalyptus and new limited edition Cherry Blossom. These are made with organic extra virgin coconut oil, jojoba and hemp oils, and pure essential oils. These soaps are very concentrated. Just a few drops go a long way (e.g., you can wash your hair with just a half tablespoon and wash your face with 2-3 drops)
- 4-in-1 Sugar Organic Pump Soap in Peppermint and Lemongrass Lime combines the classic castile soap base with organic shikakai and other natural humectants for extra-moisturizing cleaning of hands, face, body and hair.
- All-One Toothpaste is a low-foam formula that reduces plaque, whitens teeth and refreshes breath. Made with 70% organic ingredients, including fair trade and organic coconut oil.
- USDA Organic Lip Balms are amazingly moisturizing with organic avocado, jojoba and hemp oils.
- Sals Suds Biodegradable Cleaner is super concentrated for tougher cleaning jobs and hard water. Just one tablespoon can be added to a quart of water to create an all-purpose cleaner. Use a 1:20 dilution for cleaning dishes and just a half tablespoon with 3 gallons of hot water to clean floors. Add just 2-3 tablespoons to wash a large load of clothes.
Available at drbronner.com and many stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s.
- A single Puritii filter/bottle can save more than 3,000 plastic water bottles from landfills per year.
- It cleans water with a two-step filtration process:
- With a magnet-like electrostatic charge that traps contaminants, and a proprietary pleat pack with a large surface area within the filter for a higher removal of contaminants.
- It cleans water of 99% of bacteria, viruses, parasites and emerging contaminants like ibuprofen and naproxen, and 95-99% of pesticides and heavy metals like lead and arsenic.
- It contains an exclusive granular blend of zeolite and coconut carbon in the center of the pleat pack.
- Water tastes very clean and fresh by removing harmful chemicals like chlorine and iodine.
- The system is made without the use of harmful toxins such as BPAs, BPs or bisphenols.